Making Honey whole wheat bread is simple and easy now, with this recipe. When my kids were young I was always trying to add whole wheat to our diet, but I could never get my kids to eat the bread I made with it unless I used part white flour in it. Then about 17 years ago I move to a new area and got this recipe from a friend who had cancer and fought it through eating a plant based diet. This is a delicious bread recipe and even my young children loved it. It can be made with either hard red wheat or hard white wheat. When made with white wheat most people wont believe it is whole wheat bread. My mother in law was always telling me that she didn’t like wheat bread so there was no way that this bread was whole wheat.
It was wonderful to have a healthy bread that my family would eat and also love. I haven’t bought bread from the store since I started making this recipe.
- 5 cups warm water
- 3 Tablespoons dough enhancer (I use Augason Farms) or 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Olive oil or Coconut oil or Butter
- 5 cups freshly ground whole wheat flour (either hard white or hard red) I grind my wheat in a (Wonder mill grain mill)
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1 tablespoon Sea Salt (get it here)
- Put all ingredients into a bread mixer (Bosch Mixer)
- and mix for 30-45 seconds.
- Add 3 Tablespoons SAF Yeast (get it here)
- Add approximately 7 more cups Wheat flour. Mix well and kneed for 6 min. or until dough is smooth and elastic. Shape into 4 loaves, place in loaf pans and let rise for 20 min. or until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 min.